Re: TPC-OPER: Re: Large number of errors with Hylafax and ZyXEL Omni modem

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Gregory Massel wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Steve Williams wrote:
> > The USR Sportsters, one of the most popular modems sold, are agreed by
> > EVERYONE, that for commercial use, the ARE JUNK!!!.
> That is a pretty harsh statement. For commercial *FAX* use, they may be
> junk, but they make damn good data modems. In my experience, I've
> had many customers replace a variety of different modems with sportsters
> and seen much improved data connection reliability and connect rates.

They used to be good. The 33.6 Sportster I have sucks the giant wazoo
of death. As I understand it, if you bought one of the super el-cheapo
ones a year or two back, they were el-cheapo because there was a known
flow control bug and they were trying to dump them all before going to
56K modems. And they were ***AWFUL*** about trying to upgrade the
ROM's, pulling the Microsoft trick of denying the problem and trying
to blame your computer or software.

I no longer buy or recommend USR: they weren't as bad as Zoom, but
they were working on it for a while.

			Nico Garcia
			Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary