Re: Multitech & faxaddmodem problem

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:51:02 -0400
> From: Jay R. Ashworth <jra@baylink.com>
> To: flexfax@sgi.com
> Subject: Re: flexfax: Multitech & faxaddmodem problem
> On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 06:12:42PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> > > Forgive me, Nico, but doesn't that message mean that fuser is
> > > _missing_, rather than merely not running?
> >
> > Actually, no. This is an unfortunate aspect of many error messages
> > in systems maintained by people without a manager to tell them "make
> > the messages correct for every possibility": it wasn't able to successfully
> > *RUN* fuser, and assumes you actually don't have one. It's not always
> > right about it. The odds of a modern OS not having fuser is quite
> > small.
> Be damned.
> That should probably be reported to (I thnk it's) Larry Wall as a bug
> in configure, I should think.
> At least, I _think_ that message is coming from configure.

"faxaddmodem" script. And the "configure" script in HylaFAX is an
entirely custom, hand-written job by Sam Leffler (with patches
submitted by many others).  When it started out, the GNU style
configure system was not nearly so well developed and functional.

The issue is in the error message of the faxaddmodem, which which
should probably be updated: want to write the patch?

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary

Version: 2.6.2