Re: HylaFax & Redhat Linux 6.0

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, Thomas Nilsen wrote:

> I have just started having a look at Hylafax 4.0pl2 on a Redhat 6.0 Linux
> box. However, some libraries are not included with the Redhat distribution
> and I am having difficulties finding one of them elsewhere. The library in
> question is:
> libjpeg.so.6
> Can anyone point me in the right direction of an ftp server which holds this
> set?

There is a new 4.1beta1 release out compiled for RedHat 6.0. You might
grab that instead, or be prepared to install the JPEG libraries from

Check the contents of the libjpeg stuff there, and be prepared to
over-ride the 4.0pl2 dependencies if the RedHat 6.0 library is
more recent.

> A second question would be if anyone has accomplished to integrate Hylafax
> together with MS Exchange servers and Outlook clients. I am then thinking
> specially of conversion of MS Word documents to FAX files.

N-O-O-O-O-O!!!!! MS Exchange is not a mail system, it is a workgroup
server with an SMTP mail server taped to it like a muffler dangling
from a car, bouncing off the road, leaking wildly and making terrible
noises every time it hits a bump. For reliable, documented, secure
print/file service, use Samba on a UNIX box instead.

If you are really stuck with Exchange and Outlook, you still have
issues.  Trying to turn the weird, proprietary format of Word's
constantly changing standards to a public one like TIFF or even
Postscript is not just a moving target: it's a target that
deliberately ducks everytime Micro$oft discovers someone has taken

Instead, use a print client such as WHFC so that the users can print
their Word documents directly to the fax spool. This relies on the
Micro$oft drivers to produce the Postscript: if they can't do that
with all their in-house support for Word, the whole system is broken

If you absolutely must transform the stuff on a UNIX system, consider
there are pointers on the net to "catdoc" and "mswordview". The latter
is at:

			Nico Kadel-Garcia
			Senior Engineer, CIRL
			Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary