The HylaFAX development team is pleased to announce our 4.3.2 release!
This release includes significant improvements to email templating,
a system that offers server admins an unprecedented level of control
over the branding of the email messages HylaFAX sends, and so we
encourage you to check it out. As always, our sincerest thanks go
to all who participate in the development and testing process.
The source code for 4.3.2 can be downloaded from:
(md5: 5fd10cf19b2ade2ca823276e732ca377 1,521,085 bytes)
The README from this release follows. Please read it carefully.
* * *
This document is intended to describe the significant differences
between hylafax-4.3.2 and older releases, point out any known
incompatibilites and issues, and provide the reader with directions to
further resources regarding HylaFAX.
* NEW FEATURES *
* Sample HTML template demonstrating most templating features
* Email templating now available for pollrcvd
* Debian package can be built from debian/ directory
* Config files support includes, via "Include" directive
* KNOWN ISSUES *
** Please refer to HylaFAX Bugzilla for a detailed list of issues.
* INCOMPATIBILITIES *
* HylaFAX no longer uses the bin/dictionary script and etc/FaxDictionary
file to customize emails. Users requiring customized emails should
create etc/templates/some-directory/, copy the basic *.txt templates
into there, set the $TEMPLATE variable in etc/FaxDispatch and
etc/FaxNotify and start hacking.
* QualifyCID is obsolete, having been replaced by DynamicConfig in 4.3.0
* DestControls is obsolete, having been replaced by JobControl in 4.3.0
* Some modem config files generated from earlier versions' config file
prototypes may contain Class1TCFRecvHack. This is no longer desireable
for production use, and this feature should now only be used for
* If upgrading from any release older than 4.2.2, be advised
that CIDName/CIDNumber are now part of a larger CallID framework.
* libtiff-3.6.1 is fatally flawed when dealing with Group 3 images.
Don't use it as-is.
* WHO SHOULD UPGRADE? *
This release rolls up several months of development by the HylaFAX
community, and is a recommended release for all users. The most notable
changes have been to email templating, where we have addressed several
portability problems, improved the templates themselves, added an HTML
sample and gone to considerable effort to encode non-ascii subject
lines according to internet standards (most relevant for non-english
users). Other changes include a complete refactoring of PAM code to
make it more manageable, a useful "Include" option for anyone wanting
to get fancy with their config files, and various bug-fixes.
If you have done a lot of work with FaxDictionary to customize
HylaFAX's emails, then you might want to delay upgrading to 4.3.2 until
you have had a chance to study the new email templating system on a
Anyone presently running a version of HylaFAX older than 4.3.0 and
using DestControls should study the JobControl feature we added in
4.3.0 carefully and test migration to the new framework before
upgrading a production server. Likewise, those using QualifyCID to
reject faxes from certain callers should become familar with
DynamicConfig and RejectCall.
* HYLAFAX BINARY PACKAGES *
Binary packages for some operating systems and platforms are available.
If you are able and willing to produce a binary package of HylaFAX for
general distribution, and one is not already available for your platform/OS,
then you are invited to add it to the Binary_Packages wiki page at
* SUPPORT *
HylaFAX has numerous public support resources available. The user is
encouraged to utilize the manpage documentation before turning to
other support arenas. However, if other support is desired, or if you
would like to actively take part in the HylaFAX community, you are
* join and participate in a HylaFAX mailing list
When corresponding about this software, please always specify:
- what version of HylaFAX you have,
- what system you're running on (if it is Linux please name the
- if the problem is modem-related, identify it and the firmware rev
For example: "HylaFAX 4.3.0 under CentOS 4.4 with gcc 3.4.6;
ZyXEL 1496E with 6.11a firmware."
* read the on-line documentation and resources
* review HylaFAX CVS
* report confirmed bugs, feature requests, and submit patches
The HylaFAX development team