HylaFAX 4.1.1 Release
The HylaFAX development team is pleased to announce our 4.1.1 patch-level
release! The release represents countless hours of work and testing by
developers and contributors, and our thanks goes to all who participate and
(md5: 8b9c8a7d6bf5c7f9777dd9e164b7fb10 1,259,307 bytes)
* * *
This document is intended to describe the significant differences
between hylafax-4.1.1 and hylafax-4.1, point out any known
incompatibilites and issues, and provide the reader with directions to
further resources regarding HylaFAX.
* NEW FEATURES *
Please refer to CHANGES for a detailed list of code changes
- improved prototype config support for AT&T, Prometheus, MultiTech,
Hayes, Conexant, Boca, US Robotics, and Practical Peripherals modems
- 7-bit text support for typerules
- bulk faxes now drop in requeue priority rather than increase
- pass CIDNumber and CIDName through to faxgetty for CID/DNIS routing
- FILETYPE support in FaxDispatch (requires metamail when using TIFF/PDF)
- integrated Linux DSO support
- coverpage "from" options and faxcover behavior and documentation harmony
- added Class1SendMsgDelay and ModemSoftResetCmdDelay defaults and options
- added Class1EOPWaitCmd, Class1PPMWaitCmd, and Class1TCFWaitCmd in lieu
of Class1Send*Delay options which causes Class 1 modems to use +FTS
instead of software pauses in these instances.
- various other bugfixes, minor enhancements, and additions
* KNOWN ISSUES *
Please refer to HylaFAX Bugzilla for a detailed list of issues.
- Specific support for fax classes 1.0 and 2.1 are not yet implemented.
- Server-based fax archival support is still unimplemented (although
- When running in Class 2/2.0, NSF can be parsed incorrectly.
- Copy quality checking by cqtest is imperfect.
- sendfax use of ~/.hylarc differs from its use of hyla.conf
- faxrm and faxalter contain format string vulnerabilities.
* INCOMPATIBILITIES *
- The popular faxrcvd-mail scripts have been deprecated by FILETYPE use in
FaxDispatch, and unchanged, will not work with faxgetty in 4.1.1. See
'man faxrcvd' for details.
- Failed faxes now have status "F" instead of "D". Most client programs
which display/report job status will need some alteration to accomodate
- HylaFAX 4.1.1 may not compile with gcc-3.0, and limited support is
available for Mac OS-X.
* HYLAFAX BINARY PACKAGES *
Binary packages for some operating systems and platforms are available.
Please see ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/binary/ and
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.3 If you are able and
willing to produce a binary package of HylaFAX for general distribution,
then you are invited to join firstname.lastname@example.org and solicit your
* SUPPORT *
HylaFAX has numerous support resources available. The user is encouraged
to utilize the manpage documentation before turning to other support
arenas. However, if other support is desired, or if you would like to
actively take part in the HylaFAX community, you are invited to:
* join and participate in a HylaFAX mailing list
When corresponding about this software, please always specify:
- what version of HylaFAX you have,
- what system you're running on (if it is Linux please name the
- if the problem is modem-related, identify it and the firmware rev
For example: "HylaFAX v4.0pl2 under RedHat Linux 4.2 with gcc 2.7.2;
ZyXEL 1496E with 6.11a firmware."
* read the on-line documentation and resources
See: http://www.hylafax.org and http://www.hylafax.org/howto
* review HylaFAX CVS
* report confirmed bugs, feature requests, and submit patches
The HylaFAX development team
And now, a note from HylaFAX's original author ;-)
Silicon Graphics has seen fit to allow me to give this work away. It
is free. There is no support or guarantee of any sort as to its
operations, correctness, or whatever. If you do anything useful with
all or parts of it you need to honor the copyright notices. I would
also be interested in knowing about it and, hopefully, be acknowledged.
Finally, note that this software is called ``HylaFAX'', not ``Hylafax'',
``hylafax'', and certainly not ``FlexFAX'' (the old name which someone
else has a copyright on). If you want to refer to this software use
``HylaFAX (tm)'' and be sure to honor the Silicon Graphics trademark.
Use and Copyright
Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler
Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics
Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear in
all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the names of
Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
OF THIS SOFTWARE.
Last updated $Date: 2002/05/02 22:02:53 $.