HylaFAX 4.1.8 Release
The HylaFAX development team is pleased to announce our 4.1.8
patch-level release! This is a security release that fixes a
remotely exploitable format string vulnerability in hfaxd that
could be present in certain non-default configurations. As always,
our sincerest thanks goes to all who participate and provide
feedback. We'd like to extend a special thank-you to Sebastian
Krahmer and the SuSE Security Team for discovering this issue.
The source code for the 4.1.8 release can be downloaded from:
(md5: beaf55ad7935e3bcaa53a5ac093f61a8 1,285,536 bytes)
* * *
This document is intended to describe the significant differences
between hylafax-4.1.8 and older releases, point out any known
incompatibilites and issues, and provide the reader with directions to
further resources regarding HylaFAX.
* NEW FEATURES *
Please refer to CHANGES for a detailed list of code changes
* KNOWN ISSUES *
Please refer to HylaFAX Bugzilla for a detailed list of issues.
- Specific support for fax class 1.0 is not yet implemented.
- A low-priority job can block a high priority job to the same destination.
- Newer versions of awk produce odd xferfaxstats output (use --nomap).
* INCOMPATIBILITIES *
- HylaFAX source needs to be extracted and built on a case-sensitive filesystem. Users with case-insensitive filesystems, such as those with Mac OS X HFS, will need to mount a new filesystem (i.e. UFS) for this purpose. A patch is available which makes this unnecessary. See http://bugs.hylafax.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=370 for more info.
* WHO SHOULD UPGRADE? *
Everyone should upgrade.
* HYLAFAX BINARY PACKAGES *
Binary packages for some operating systems and platforms are available. Please see ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/binary/ and http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.3 If you are able and willing to produce a binary package of HylaFAX for general distribution, then you are invited to join firstname.lastname@example.org and solicit your binary package.
* COMMERCIAL SUPPORT *
iFAX Solutions, Inc. (http://www.ifax.com) provides commercial support to HylaFAX users. Single-incident and annual support options are available, as well as a variety of consulting services. Contact email@example.com for more information.
* FREE SUPPORT *
HylaFAX has numerous support resources available. The user is encouraged to utilize the manpage documentation before turning to other support arenas. However, if other support is desired, or if you would like to actively take part in the HylaFAX community, you are invited to:
* join and participate in a HylaFAX mailing list
When corresponding about this software, please always specify:
- what version of HylaFAX you have,
- what system you're running on (if it is Linux please name the
- if the problem is modem-related, identify it and the firmware rev
For example: "HylaFAX v4.0pl2 under RedHat Linux 4.2 with gcc 2.7.2;
ZyXEL 1496E with 6.11a firmware."
* read the on-line documentation and resources
See: http://www.hylafax.org and http://www.hylafax.org/howto
* review HylaFAX CVS
* report confirmed bugs, feature requests, and submit patches
The HylaFAX development team
Last updated $Date: 2003/12/06 23:00:56 $.