HylaFAX 4.1.5 Release
The HylaFAX development team is pleased to announce our 4.1.5
patch-level release! The release represents many hours of work and
testing by developers and contributors, and our thanks goes to all who
participate and provide feedback.
The source code for the 4.1.5 release can be downloaded from:
(md5: 67135ae721f7a927e0f9a96644694617 1,276,511 bytes)
* * *
This document is intended to describe the significant differences
between hylafax-4.1.5 and older releases, point out any known
incompatibilites and issues, and provide the reader with directions to
further resources regarding HylaFAX.
* NEW FEATURES *
Please refer to CHANGES for a detailed list of code changes
- sendfax warns when -d options are used poorly
- NSF recognition on sending for virtually all US, UK, and Japan codes
- DSO versioning follows HylaFAX
- additional modem support for various USR, Digi, and Lucent/Agere modems
- faxqclean now has a "force archiving" option
- faxanswer supports Caller-ID now when faxgetty is running
- removed support for Solaris DSOs and various other Solaris bugfixes
- new Class1MsgRecvHack, Class1ResponseWaitCmd, and RingExtended config options
- probemodem options to send one command and not kill faxgetty
- improve the select bug workaround
- faxq triggers LOCKWAIT explicitly when initiating faxsend
- faxgetty polls for lockfiles while RUNNING
- fix broken facsimile polling when in Class 1
* KNOWN ISSUES *
Please refer to HylaFAX Bugzilla for a detailed list of issues.
- HylaFAX corrupts images received in 2D-MMR (patch available).
- Specific support for fax class 1.0 is not yet implemented.
- A low-priority job can block a high priority job to the same destination.
* INCOMPATIBILITIES *
- faxinfo from older installations of HylaFAX will not give correct output when run against newly received fax image files. faxinfo from 4.1.3 and later can read both newly received and older fax image files.
- HylaFAX source needs to be extracted and built on a case-sensitive filesystem. Users with case-insensitive filesystems, such as those with Mac OS X HFS, will need to mount a new filesystem (i.e. UFS) for this purpose.
- The popular faxrcvd-mail scripts have been deprecated by FILETYPE use in FaxDispatch, and unchanged, will not work with faxgetty in 4.1.3 and later. See 'man faxrcvd' for details.
* WHO SHOULD UPGRADE? *
Anyone running the short-lived 4.1.4 release of HylaFAX should consider this
a mandatory upgrade. A race condition in the lockfile polling code could lead
to a non-responsive faxgetty in some circumstances.
A large number of security fixes were included in the 4.1.3 release of
HylaFAX which make it very important to upgrade to 4.1.3 or newer. If you
are not already running 4.1.3, this 4.1.5 release is a recommended
Anyone already running 4.1.3 on Solaris should also upgrade, since a number
of Solaris-specific issues were addressed in this release.
Users who find that their modem status does not always return to idle after
sending a fax, such as those with low-level select bugs or those running
RedHat Linux 7.3, should upgrade.
* HYLAFAX BINARY PACKAGES *
Binary packages for some operating systems and platforms are available. Please see ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/binary/ and http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.3 If you are able and willing to produce a binary package of HylaFAX for general distribution, then you are invited to join firstname.lastname@example.org and solicit your binary package.
* COMMERCIAL SUPPORT *
HylaFAX.org has partnered with iFax Solutions, Inc. to provide commercial support to HylaFAX users. Single-incident and annual support options are available, as well as a variety of consulting services. Contact HylaFAX Sales for more information.
* FREE SUPPORT *
HylaFAX has numerous support resources available. The user is encouraged to utilize the manpage documentation before turning to other support arenas. However, if other support is desired, or if you would like to actively take part in the HylaFAX community, you are invited to:
* join and participate in a HylaFAX mailing list
When corresponding about this software, please always specify:
- what version of HylaFAX you have,
- what system you're running on (if it is Linux please name the
- if the problem is modem-related, identify it and the firmware rev
For example: "HylaFAX v4.0pl2 under RedHat Linux 4.2 with gcc 2.7.2;
ZyXEL 1496E with 6.11a firmware."
* read the on-line documentation and resources
See: http://www.hylafax.org and http://www.hylafax.org/howto
* review HylaFAX CVS
* report confirmed bugs, feature requests, and submit patches
The HylaFAX development team
Last updated $Date: 2002/10/22 05:17:01 $.