HylaFAX 4.1 Release
The HylaFAX development team is pleased to announce our much-anticipated
4.1 release! The 4.1 release has been almost two years in the making, and
is the first non-"beta" release since 4.0pl2. The 4.1 release represents
countless hours of work and testing by developers and contributors, and
our thanks goes to all who participate and provide feedback.
(md5: d8a60dcddb4bcfd67c494aee89d036e7 1,243,832 bytes)
* * *
This document is intended to describe the significant differences
between hylafax-4.1 and hylafax-4.0pl2, point out any known
incompatibilites and issues, and provide the reader with directions to
further resources regarding HylaFAX.
* NEW FEATURES *
* faxadduser and faxdeluser utilities aid in etc/hosts.hfaxd management
* greater default compatibility with more modems through prototype
configuration file enhancements
* BreakIntoCommentX faxcover function
* greater default compilation compatibility with various operating systems
* documentation enhancements, updates, and corrections
* functionality for decoding received Non-Standard-Frames (NSF)
* compatibility with libtiff-3.5
* allow use of "none" in five config options
* security enhancements and fixes
* faxq now load-balances modems with equal priority
* added "Modem" option to DestControls for outbound routing
* RTNHandlingMethod, ModemDTRDropDelay, and Class1SwitchingDelay config
* numerous fixes to both Class 1 and Class 2/2.0 fax protocol
* numerous fixes and enhancments to faxsetup, faxaddmodem, and other
** please refer to CHANGES for a detailed list of code changes
* KNOWN ISSUES *
* MaxSendPages and JobReqOther do not work as documented or at all.
* Specific support for fax classes 1.0 and 2.1 are not yet implemented.
* The faxcover documentation discusses various "from" dictionary options
as well as commentX dictionary options. Neither of these are available,
but there is CommentsX functionality, which is undocumented.
* Server-based fax archival support is still unimplemented (although
* When running in Class 2/2.0, NSF can be parsed incorrectly.
* When running in Class 1, receipt of EOM is mishandled.
* Glare is not handled (RING while initializing a modem).
* faxqclean can, under the right circumstances, delete documents which are
still in use.
* configure can complain about libtiff problems when the error is really
** Please refer to HylaFAX Bugzilla for a detailed list of issues.
* INCOMPATIBILITIES *
* The default spool directory has changed from /var/spool/fax/ to
/var/spool/hylafax/ Take caution to note this change!!! If you desire
to compile HylaFAX using the old spool directory:
* HylaFAX 4.1 will not compile with gcc-3.0 or Mac OS-X. Minor
issues still remain when compiling on Solaris or Unixware. (Look to CVS
for progress on this.)
* The ModemClass config option has been completely replaced by the
ModemGroup option. Functionality is identical.
* Changes to faxcover may require some changes to faxcover template files.
If using BreakIntoLines, the syntax has changed from:
<comments> <line-width> <line-changing-proc> BreakIntoLines -
<line-width> <line-height> <x> <y> <comments> BreakIntoLines -
If the faxcover used the commentX parameters, you will need to add the
following function call before using the commentX parameters:
<maxlines> <comments> BreakIntoCommentX -
* Other name changes have occurred:
xferstats --> xferfaxstats
xferlog --> xferfaxlog
etc/hosts --> etc/hosts.hfaxd
/var/spool/fax --> /var/spool/hylafax
config (manpage) --> hylafax-config
info (manpage) --> hylafax-info
log (manpage) --> hylafax-log
shutdown (manpage) --> hylafax-shutdown
* Font metrics are now gone. The textfmt program can now directly read
Ghostscript fontmap files and thus find the corresponding afm files
included in the ghostscript fonts package.
* HYLAFAX BINARY PACKAGES *
Binary packages for some operating systems and platforms are available.
Please see ftp://ftp.hylafax.org/binary/ and
http://www.hylafax.org/howto/install.html#ss2.3.3 If you are able and
willing to produce a binary package of HylaFAX for general distribution,
then you are invited to join email@example.com and solicit your
* SUPPORT *
HylaFAX has numerous support resources available. The user is encouraged
to utilize the manpage documentation before turning to other support
arenas. However, if other support is desired, or if you would like to
actively take part in the HylaFAX community, you are invited to:
* join and participate in a HylaFAX mailing list
When corresponding about this software, please always specify:
- what version of HylaFAX you have,
- what system you're running on (if it is Linux please name the
- if the problem is modem-related, identify it and the firmware rev
For example: "HylaFAX v4.0pl2 under RedHat Linux 4.2 with gcc 2.7.2;
ZyXEL 1496E with 6.11a firmware."
* read the on-line documentation and resources
See: http://www.hylafax.org and http://www.hylafax.org/howto
* review HylaFAX CVS
* report confirmed bugs, feature requests, and submit patches
The HylaFAX development team
And now, a note from HylaFAX's original author ;-)
Silicon Graphics has seen fit to allow me to give this work away. It
is free. There is no support or guarantee of any sort as to its
operations, correctness, or whatever. If you do anything useful with
all or parts of it you need to honor the copyright notices. I would
also be interested in knowing about it and, hopefully, be acknowledged.
Finally, note that this software is called ``HylaFAX'', not ``Hylafax'',
``hylafax'', and certainly not ``FlexFAX'' (the old name which someone
else has a copyright on). If you want to refer to this software use
``HylaFAX (tm)'' and be sure to honor the Silicon Graphics trademark.
Use and Copyright
Copyright (c) 1988-1996 Sam Leffler
Copyright (c) 1991-1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
HylaFAX is a trademark of Silicon Graphics
Permission to use, copy, modify, distribute, and sell this software and
its documentation for any purpose is hereby granted without fee, provided
that (i) the above copyright notices and this permission notice appear in
all copies of the software and related documentation, and (ii) the names of
Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics may not be used in any advertising or
publicity relating to the software without the specific, prior written
permission of Sam Leffler and Silicon Graphics.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS-IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY
WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
IN NO EVENT SHALL SAM LEFFLER OR SILICON GRAPHICS BE LIABLE FOR
ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY KIND,
OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS,
WHETHER OR NOT ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE, AND ON ANY THEORY OF
LIABILITY, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE
OF THIS SOFTWARE.
Last updated $Date: 2002/05/02 22:02:53 $.