I have run across a few small bugs. The only way I was able to change the pagerMaxMsgLength from 128 up to 240 was to edit the source and recompile.
... changing the source to configure the software is not the way the things should work; I am guessing that for some reason or other, it cannot see the config.cua1 file ( I am only using one modem and I have changed the config.cua1 entry to read: &pagerMaxMsgLenth: 240 which had no effect - and I did kill and restart everything. I will use strace to try and track this one down like you showed me.) what do you mean by "it cannot see the config.cua1 file"? faxaddmodem(1M) called from faxsetup(1M) will create a modem-config file below etc/ (e.g. /var/spool/hylafax/etc/config.cua1) for you; by default there is no entry in this file for the pager message length; if you're using sendpage(1) this command uses SNPP to contact the hfaxd(1M) daemon; hfaxd(1M) reads the configuration from the file hfaxd.conf in $DIR_LIB (e.g. lib/hfaxd.conf); the parameter for the message length in SNPP is "MaxMsgLength"; see the man page of hfaxd(1M); messages longer than this value (default 128) are rejected; if the job is queued and later send to the provider by pagesend(1M) this daemon reads it configuration from the modem config file mentioned above; the parameter is "PagerMaxmsgLength" and is explained in the man page hylafax-config(4F); messages longer than this value (defaults also to 128) are truncated (but send); .... matthias